Herchel Smith post-doctoral fellow
Year joined Homerton College:
I am interested in the biosynthesis of natural products and how it can be harnessed to provide alternative routes to compounds that are difficult to obtain synthetically.
Teaching & Professional Interests:
I am currently involved in the supervision of a part 3 course on biosynthesis. I have previously been involved in tutoring and lecturing various areas of chemistry, demonstrating chemical lab skills and supervising undergraduate lab projects.
Travel, languages, growing vegetables and environmentalism.
PhD thesis title: ‘Structure Elucidation and Synthesis of Natural Products’
- Annabel C. Murphy (2011) Metabolite Engineering is Key to a Sustainable Chemical Industry, Natural Product Reports, 2011, 28, 1406-1425
- Rob W. Scott, Annabel C. Murphy, Ji’en Wu, Joanne Hothersall, Russell J. Cox, Thomas J. Simpson, Christopher M. Thomas, Christine L. Willis (2011) Mupirocin F: structure elucidation, synthesis and rearrangements, Tetrahedron, 67, 5098-5106
- Annabel C. Murphy, Daisuke Fukuda, Zhongshu Song, Joanne Hothersall, Russell J. Cox, Christine L. Willis, Christopher M. Thomas, Thomas J. Simpson (2011) Novel thiomarinol antibiotics active against MRSA are generated by mutagenesis and mutasynthesis of Pseudoalteromonas SANK73390, Angewandte Chemie, Int. Ed., 50 (14), 3271-4
- Daisuke Fukuda, Anthony S. Haines, Zhongshu Song, Annabel Murphy, Joanne Hothersall, Elton R. Stephens, Rachel Gurney, Russell J. Cox, John Crosby, Christine L. Willis, Thomas J. Simpson, Christopher M. Thomas (2011) A natural plasmid uniquely encodes two biosynthetic pathways creating a potent anti-MRSA antibiotic, PLoS One, 6 (3), e18031
- Joanne Hothersall, Annabel C. Murphy, Zafar Iqbal, Elton Stephens, Helen Cooper, Genevieve Campbell, Steve Atkinson, Paul Williams, Christine L Willis, Thomas J Simpson, Christopher M Thomas (2011) Manipulation of quorum sensing regulation in Pseudomonas fluorescens NCIMB 10586 to increase mupirocin production, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 90 (3), 1017-26
- Chuanjun Song, Satita Tapaneeyakorn, Annabel C. Murphy, Craig Butts, Anthony Watts, Christine L. Willis (2009) Enantioselective syntheses of α-Fmoc-Pbf-[2-13C]-l-arginine and Fmoc-[1,3-13C2]-l-proline and incorporation into the neurotensin receptor 1 ligand, NT8−13, Journal of Organic Chemistry 74 (23), 8980-8987
- Annabel C. Murphy, Maya I. Mitova, John W. Blunt, Murray H. G. Munro (2008) Concise, stereoselective route to the four diastereoisomers of 4-methylproline Journal of Natural Products 71 (5), 806-809
- Annabel C. Murphy, Sean R. A. Devenish, Andrew C. Muscroft-Taylor, John W. Blunt, Murray H. G. Munro (2008) Synthetic and biological studies on the spiro-mamakone system, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 6, 3854-3862
- Maya I. Mitova, Annabel C. Murphy, Gerhard Lang, John W. Blunt, Anthony L. J. Cole, Gill Ellis, Murray H. G. Munro (2008) Evolving trends in the dereplication of natural product extracts. 2. The isolation of chrysaibol, an antibiotic peptaibol from a New Zealand sample of the mycoparasitic fungus Sepedonium chrysospermum., Journal of Natural Products 71 (9), 1600-1603
- Chien-Hui Chen, Gerhard Lang, Maya I. Mitova, Annabel C. Murphy, Anthony L. J. Cole, Laily B. Din, John W. Blunt, Murray H. G. Munro (2006) Pteratides I−IV, new cytotoxic cyclodepsipeptides from the Malaysian basidiomycete Pterula sp. Journal of Organic Chemistry 71 (21), 7947–7951
Contact Annabel Murphy
Telephone: (+44)1223 333657