Mary Anne Wolpert
Mary Anne taught for many years as a primary English specialist and was a senior manager in a London school before moving into teacher education at the Faculty of Education in 2005 where she is now Deputy Course Manager for the Early Years and Primary PGCE course and coordinates the primary Professional Studies and English courses.
She is a member of the research staff team for the Cambridge/Homerton Research and Teaching Centre for Children's Literature and the Caribbean Poetry Project Advisory Panel. She coordinates the undergraduate Childrens Literature course as well as teaching on the Masters course in Critical Approaches to Children's Literature. She has supervised for Homerton on various undergraduate courses since 2007.
- English teaching in primary schools
- Children and literature
- Visual literacy
- Teacher education
- Reading comprehension
Current Research Projects:
- Raising Students' Achievement within an inclusive context in Antigua and Barbuda.
- Children's Poetry Archive/UKLA Research and Development Project.
- Improving inference making skills in reading at Key Stage Two.
- PlaNS: Play and Narrative Skills.
- New approaches to measuring key psychological attributes of prespective teachers.
- Teacher education
- Primary literacy
- Children's Literature
- PGCE course management
- Education Tripos Part II - Children's literature
- MPhil/MEd - Critical Approaches to Children's Literature
- MEd, Critical Approaches to Children's Literature, University of Cambridge
- PGCE Primary, Brighton University
- MA History, University of Cambridge
- BA (Hons) History, University of Cambridge
- Arizpe, E. and Styles, M. with Cowan, K., Mallouri, L. and Wolpert, M.A. (2008). 'The Voices Behind the Pictures.'In L.R. Sipe and S. Pantaleo. (Eds.). Postmodern picturebooks; play, parody and self-referentiality. London: Routledge.
- Galliard, J. and Wolpert, M.A. (2007). Enjoy picture books at KS2: ideas to support teachers and pupils to engage with picture books. Stevenage: Badger Publishing.
- Wolpert, M.A., Dunn, T., Brown, A. and Chapman E. (2010). Superheroes in the primary classroom. English 4-11, 40 11-16.
- Wyse, D., Jones, R., Bradford, H. and Wolpert, M.A. Teaching English, language and literacy. (3rd Ed.). London: Routledge.
- Pollard, A. et al. Reflective teaching (4th Ed.). London: Continuum.
- Warwick, J. & Wolpert, M.A. (2014) Making the most of your placements. In Arthur, J. and Cremin, T. (Eds.). Learning to teach in the primary school. Oxon: Routledge.