Contact email address:
Year Joined Homerton:
All within the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education:
- Director of Teacher Education, 1992 - 2004
- Director of Central Asia Projects, 2011 - 2015
- 2016 - ongoing Director, Avanti Schools Trust (and Chair from May 2017)
- 2016 - ongoing Member, Diocese of Ely Board of Education
- 2016 - ongoing Director, Diocese of Ely Multi-Academy Trust
- 2015 - ongoing Syndic, Cambridge University Press
- Gender and achievement
- Initial teacher education
- Continuing (professional development of teachers/education professionals)
- Educational reform in emerging economies
Current (or recent) research projects:
- Raising Boys' Achievement in Schools in England
- Keeping Girls in School Against the Odds: Perspectives from Uganda and Kenya
- Creating Communities of Practice amonst Teachers in the Eastern Caribbean
- Educational reform in Kazakhstan
Teaching And Professional Interests:
- Geography and environmental education
- Whole school issues linked to gender and achievement
- Initial and continuing teacher education
- Developing the expertise of beginning teachers
BA (Leicester), MEd (London), MA (Cantab)
- Younger, M (2016) Effective pedagogies for girls’ learning : A review of recent research, GDST: London
- Younger, M (2014) The Gender and Education Agenda in the United Kingodm, 1988 – 2013: The Ever-Turning Wheel, in D Dhar (ed), Education as a Humanitarian
Response: Education and Gender, pp. 119-138. Bloomsbury : London.
- Younger, M and George, P (2014) Gender, Schooling and Achievement in the Caribbean, in D Dhar (ed), Education as a Humanitarian Response: Education and Gender, pp. 41-66. Bloomsbury : London.
- Younger, M and Cobbett, M (2014) Gendered perceptions of schooling: classroom dynamics and inequalities within four Caribbean secondary schools, Educational Review, 66 (1), pp. 1-21.
- Younger, M and George, P (2013) Developing communities of practice in practice: overcoming suspicion and establishing dialogue amongst primary school teachers in Antigua and Barbuda, Professional Development in Education, 39 (3), pp. 312-329.
- Younger, M. and Cobbett, M. (2012) Boys’ educational ‘underachievement’ in the Caribbean: interpreting the ‘problem’, Gender and Education, 24 6: pp 611-625
- Younger, M. and MacBeath, J. (eds) (2012) A Common Wealth of Learning: Millenium Goals Revisited. Routledge: London
- Younger, M. (2012) Partnerships for Leading and Learning: The Contribution of the CCE, in M. Younger & J. MacBeath (eds) (2012) A Common Wealth of Learning: Millenium Goals Revisited. Routledge: London
- Warrington, M. & Younger, M. (2011) 'Life is a tightrope': reflections on peer group inclusion and exclusion amongst adolescent girls and boys, Gender and Education, 22, 3: pp 153-168.
- Younger, M. (2010) Contextualising the Boys’ Agenda within an inclusive context or Let’s not forget the girls, Implications for policy and practive on gender equality in schools, In Astgeirsdottir, K (Ed), Rapport fra nordiske konferencer i Tórshavn og Reykjavik under Islands formandskab i Nordisk Ministerråd, pp 63- 79. (Nordisk Ministerråd, København 2010).
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. (2009) Mentoring and target-setting in a secondary school in England: an evaluation of aims and benefits, Oxford Review of Education, 35, 2: pp 169-185.
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. (2008) The gender agenda in primary teacher education in England: fifteen lost years?, Journal of Education Policy, 23 (4), pp.429-446.
- Younger, M. (2007) The Gender Agenda in Secondary ITET in England: forgotten, misconceived or what? Gender and Education, special edition on Teacher Education.
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. (2007) Closing the Gender gap? Issues of Gender Equity in English Secondary Schools, Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 28 (2), pp 219-242.
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. (2006) Would Harry and Hermione Have Done Better in Single-Sex Classes? A Review of Single-Sex Teaching in Coeducational Secondary Schools in the United Kingdom, American Educational Research Journal, 43 (4), pp 579 - 620.
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. , with Bearne, E. (2006) Raising Boys' Achievements in Primary Schools: towards an holistic approach. (Maidenhead : Open University Press).
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. (2006) Working on the inside: discourses, dilemmas and decisions, Gender and Education, Special Edition.
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M., with McLellan, R. (2005) Raising Boys' Achievement in Secondary Schools: issues, dilemmas and opportunities (Open University Press).
- Younger, M., Brindley, S., Pedder, D and Hagger, H. (2004) Starting points: student teachers' reasons for becoming teachers and their preconceptions of what this will mean, European Journal of Teacher Education, 27, 3: pp 245-264.
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. (2003) 'We decided to give it a Twirl': single-sex teaching in English comprehensive schools, Gender and Education, 15, 4, pp 339 - 350.
- Younger, M. and Webster, A. (2003) Environmental Education : Education for Sustainable Development, in J.Beck and M.Earl, (eds), Issues in Secondary Education (Cassell), second edn.
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. (2003) Under-achieving boys' in English primary schools? The Curriculum Journal, 14, 2, pp 139 - 156.
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. (2002) The 'Problem' of 'Under-achieving Boys' : some responses from English secondary schools, School Leadership and Management, 22,4, pp 389 - 405.
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. (2002) Single-sex classes in co-educational comprehensive schools in England: an evaluation based upon students' performance and classroom interactions, British Educational Research Journal, 28, 3, pp353 - 374.
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. (2001) Single-sex classes and equal opportunities for girls and boys: perspectives through time from a mixed comprehensive school in England, Oxford Review of Education, 27, 3, pp 339 - 356.
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. (2000) The Other Side of the Gender Gap, Gender and Education, 12,4, pp 493-508.
- Younger, M. and Webster, A. (2000) Environmental Education : Education for Sustainable Development, in J.Beck and M.Earl, (eds), Issues in Secondary Education (Cassell).
- Warrington, M., Younger, M. and Williams, J. (2000) Student Attitude, Image and the Gender Gap, British Educational Research Journal, 26 (1), pp 393-407.