Fellow in Education
Contact email address:
Year Joined Homerton:
- Student wellbeing
- Achievement motivation
- Attitudes to school
- Teacher learning
- Gender and achievement
Current Research Projects
- Collaboration between Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge, and Graduate School of Education, Nazarbayev University, to examine Kazakhstan school students’ well-being and engagement
- Measuring the Impact of Career Guidance and Related Interventions on Career Self-efficacy and Related Employability Outcomes of Arabic Youth
- Understanding the Origins and Experience of Mathematics Anxiety in primary and secondary school pupils
- School university partnership for educational research: SUPER
- PhD in Science Education (King's College, London)
- MPhil in Psychology of Education (Cambridge)
- PGCE in Secondary Mathematics (Cambridge)
- MA in Social and Political Sciences, specialising in Social Psychology (Cambridge)
Memberships: British Psychological Society, British Educational Research Association
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- McLellan, R. & Steward, S. (2015). Measuring children and young people’s wellbeing in the school context. Cambridge Journal of Education, 45(3), 307-332.
- Ajaps, S. & McLellan, R. (2015). ‘We don’t know enough’: Environmental education and pro-environmental behaviour perceptions. Cogent Education, 2: 1124490.
- McLellan, R., & Nicholl, B. (2013). Creativity in crisis in Design & Technology: Are classroom climates conducive for creativity in English secondary schools. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 9, 165-185.
- McLellan, R., & Nicholl, B. (2011) 'If I was going to design a chair, the last thing I would look at is a chair'. Product analysis and the causes of fixation in students' design work 11-16 years. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 21(1), 71-92.
- Nicholl, B., & McLellan, R. (2008). ‘We’re all in this game whether we like it or not to get a number of As to Cs.’ Design and technology teachers’ struggles to implement the creativity and performativity policies. British Educational Research Journal, 34(5), 585-600.
- Nicholl, B., & McLellan, R. (2007). 'Oh yeah, yeah you get a lot of love hearts. The Year 9s are notorious for love hearts. Everything is love hearts.' Fixation in pupils' design and technology work (11-16 years). Design and Technology Education: An International Journal, 12(1), 34-44.
- McLellan, R. (2006). The Impact of Motivational ‘World-view’ on Engagement in a Cognitive Acceleration Programme. International Journal of Science Education, 28(7), 781-819.
- Gray, J. & McLellan, R. (2006). A Matter of Attitude? Developing a typology of boys’ and girls’ responses to primary schooling. Gender and Education, 18(6), 651-672.
- Warrington, M., Younger, M., & McLellan, R. (2003). ‘Under-achieving boys’ in English primary schools? The Curriculum Journal, 14(2), 139-156.
- McLellan, R. (2003). New Ways of Thinking about Raising Boys’ Achievement. Topic, 30, 1-6.
- Younger, M., Warrington, M. & McLellan, R. (2002). The ‘Problem’ of ‘Under-achieving Boys’: some responses from English secondary schools. School Leadership & Management, 22(4), 389-405.
Books and Book Chapters
- McLaughlin, C., Baumfield, V., Cordingley, P. and McLellan, R. (Eds.) (2015). Making a difference: Turning teacher learning inside-out. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- McLaughlin, C., McLellan, R. and Fordham, M. (2014). The role of teachers in educational reform in Kazakhstan: Teacher enquiry as a vehicle for change. In D. Bridges (Ed.), Educational reform and internationalisation: The case of Kazakhstan. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Waterhouse, J., McLellan, R., McLaughlin, C, & Morgan, B. (2014). Powerful partnership in a schools-university research collaboration. In T. Stern, F. Rauch, A. Schuster & A. Townsend (Eds.), Action Research, Innovation and Change Across Disciplines: International Perspectives. London: Routledge.
- McLellan, R., Kirkman, R., Cartwright, S., & Millington, B. (2011). Student voice in the secondary school context: A case study of the benefits of schools, local authorities and higher education institutions working together. In G. Czerniawski, V. & W. Kidd (Eds.), The student voice handbook: Bridging the academic practitioner divide. London, Emerald.
- McLaughlin, C., Waterhouse, J., McLellan, R., & Morgan, B. (2010). Collabroer dans las recherche: etude de l'action dans un tiers-espace. In P. Masson, V. Baumfield, K. Otrel-Cass & M. Pilo (Eds.), (Re)penser le partneriat en Education / Rethinking Partnership in Education. Lille, France.
- McLellan, R. (2009). Analysing quantitative data In E. Wilson (Ed.), School-based research: A guide for education students (pp. 154-170). London: SAGE.
- Nicholl, B., & McLellan, R. (2009). ‘This isn’t my project [work]. It’s…just do it…you just do research’. What student voice reveals about the nature of D&T lessons in English schools and the implications this has on their motivation and learning of complex tasks. In A. Jones & M. de Vries (Eds.), International Handbook of Research and Development in Technology Education. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Younger, M. & Warrington, M. with McLellan, R. (2005). Raising Boys’ Achievement in Secondary Schools: Issues, Dilemmas and Opportunities. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- McLellan, R. & Galton, M. (2015). The impact of primary-secondary transition on students’ wellbeing. Final report to the Nuffield Foundation.
- McLellan, R. & Galton, M., with Walberg, M. (2014). The impact of arts interventions on health outcomes: A survey of young adolescents accompanied by a review of the literature. Newcastle: Creativity, Culture & Education.
- McLellan, R. & Winter, L. (2014). Teacher identity in a changing educational landscape in Kazakhstan: The explanatory efficacy of Beijaard, Meijer and Verloop’s (2004) framework. In The improvement of the secondary education curriculum of Kazakhstan in the context of modern reforms: Final report. Cambridge: University of Cambridge Faculty of Education.
- Winter, L., McLellan, R. & Fimyar, O. (2013). Teachers' constructs of their professional identity in a changing educational environment in Kazakhstan. In Internationalisation and reform of secondary schooling in Kazakhstan: Final report. Cambridge: University of Cambridge Faculty of Education.
- McLellan, R., Galton, M., Steward, S., & Page, C. (2012a). The impact of creative initiatives on well-being: a literature review. Newcastle: Creativity, Culture & Education.
- McLellan, R., Galton, M., Steward, S., & Page, C. (2012b). The Impact of Creative Partnerships on the Wellbeing of Children and Young People. London: Creativity, Culture & Education.
- Nicholl, B., McLellan, R., & Kotob, W. (2008). Understanding Creativity for Creative Understanding. Cambridge: University of Cambridge, Faculty of Education.
- Younger, M., & Warrington, M. with Gray, J., Rudduck, J., McLellan, R., Kershner, R., Bearne, E. & Bricheno, P. (2005). Raising Boys’ Achievement: Final report. London: DfES.
- McLellan, R. (forthcoming, 2015). Children and young people’s wellbeing in the school context. In M. Myhill. & R. Maclean (Eds.), Handbook on life in schools and classrooms – Past, present and future visions. London: Springer.