The dates and subjects for the 2018 Summer Schools are as follows:
- English, Sunday 8th – Tuesday 10th July
- Mathematics, Wednesday 11th – Friday 13th July
- Biological Sciences, Wednesday 25th – Friday 27th July
- Geography, Wednesday 25th – Friday 27th July
Homerton College organises a series of Summer Schools for Year 12/S5 students at state-maintained schools. Our Summer Schools are primarily for students in our link areas of Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham in South Yorkshire; Buckinghamshire; Scotland; and the London boroughs of Hounslow, Kingston and Richmond, however students from outside of these areas are welcome to apply. There is no charge for the food, accommodation or activities, in other words the summer school is free of charge. Travel bursaries are available for students who come from a household with an income of £25,000 or below.
Students stay overnight for two nights in Homerton College and experience undergraduate life by attending study sessions led by University academics, and also through social activities put on by the college. Students experience sample lectures and seminars, workshops, and a supervision. There is also guidance on admissions and interviews, and the chance for students to explore the city of Cambridge for themselves. The Summer Schools are an excellent opportunity to gain an insight into studying at top universities, receive help and support on applying to competitive universities, and meet peers from all over the UK.
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be in Year 12, S5 or equivalent (home UK only)
- Attend a state-maintained school or college (applications will also be considered from students who are on a widening participation scholarship to an independent school)
- Have achieved at least 5 A’s or 7’s at GCSE or equivalent (e.g. National 5’s), and be on track for achieving the grades to make a competitive application to Cambridge
- Be taking relevant subjects in relation to the Summer School they are applying for
In addition, priority will be given to applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria, though this is not a prerequisite to applying:
- The first generation in their family to attend university
- Eligible for free school meals
- Attend schools or colleges or live in an area with low progression to higher education (based upon POLAR data)
- Currently in, or have previously been, in local authority or foster care
There are 30 places available on each summer school. To apply, please fill out the application form below. Please note that we will not accept applications to the summer schools from students who have already applied to university. The closing date for applications is Friday 4th May, however we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.
Application form: https://cambridge.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3L67htjuBl9YsAJ