Social Feed


Image: Homerton College: University of Cambridge

Main menu

Postgraduate - Funding and Finance

You are here

What costs are involved with graduate study at Homerton?

  • Composition/tuition fee
  • College fee
  • Residency or non-residency fee
  • Minimum meal contribution
  • Maintenance/living costs (travel, entertainment, clothes, food)

Composition/tuition fees are set by the University, but collected by the College. Please see the Graduate Admissions pages for information. Accommodation fees will vary depending on the type of accommodation that you are allocated. Please see the Graduate Admissions pages for estimations about the cost of living in Cambridge.

As one of the conditions of your offer, you will be required to fill out a Financial Undertaking Form, confirming that you have funds for the above costs for the duration of your course.

How will I pay my fees?

All fees listed above, with the exception of maintenance/living costs, are due in one instalment at the Higher Degree Financial Registration at the end of September. If you foresee problems with making payment in one instalment, the College Finance Officer can be contacted to make alternative arrangements or set up a payment plan.

Are there any grants I can apply for?

If you nominated Homerton as your first choice College on your application you will be eligible to apply for the Charter Scholarship. This is a sum of £1,500, paid annually, renewable over a period of 3 years for PhDs, subject to satisfactory progress. Details are found here.

Homerton College is also part of the CHESS scheme, and we offer up to two awards, to the value of the College fee, for successful CHESS applicants who will become members of the college.

The College also offers one Horobin Award for a female student following a one-year graduate course, who can demonstrate both academic achievement and sporting achievement in rowing.

Once matriculated, current graduate students can apply for the Research Grant to assist with research costs. This fund is intended to help graduate students with expenses such as travel to a research site or conference registration fees. The application form for the Research Grant can be found here. In addition, students who find themselves in hardship due to unforeseen and unexpected financial difficulties may apply to the College hardship fund. However, it should be noted that the College funds are very limited and can only help those in severe and unexpected hardship.

The University of Cambridge Funding Search engine is a useful tool for incoming graduates to identify any grants or studentships for which they may be eligible. It can be consulted here.

My sponsor will be paying my fees, how will this work?

Along with your Financial Undertaking Form, your sponsor should provide the College Finance Office with a confirmation letter, detailing the level of financial support they pledge to provide. The letter will include information regarding the sum they will contribute towards fees, and/or maintenance. Sponsors can make payment in different ways, as such the letter will explain if payment will be made direct to the College or if it will be paid via the student. If your sponsor will make a round sum contribution for all costs, this should be specified. If you have any doubts regarding sponsorship and payment of fees, the College Finance Officer will be happy to advise.

What is the minimum meal contribution?

The minimum meal contribution (MMC) is a charge paid by all students resident in College. This commitment is added to the accommodation fee for the term. The MMC amount is allocated to the student ID card, allowing students to purchase food in the Buttery and Great Hall; at a 10% discount.

The figure for the academic year 2016 is £110 per term. This means that each term £110 is credited to your University card. The balance on the card should be used up by the end of the accommodation contract period. As some graduates stay in College past June, the College allows Graduates an extra month, 31st July, after which date any remaining balance on the card will expire.

What is the non-residents charge?

If you are living in private accommodation, the College requires a non-residents charge of £135 per annum to cover the use of the College facilities. The MMC is not applicable to non-residents.

The Graduate Admissions Fees and Funding Frequently Asked Questions, found here, contains further information.

Report Webpage Issues:

(Only required if you wish for a reply to the report)