Professor Bridges came to Homerton as a Lecturer in Education in 1968. He became Vice Principal in 1986, and for his final term Acting Principal, before moving to a chair at the University of East Anglia. There he became Dean of the School of Education and then Pro Vice Chancellor until he semi retired in 2000. He then became Director of the Association of Universities in the East of England, a post that overlapped with his appointment as Director of the Von Hugel Institute and Fellow of St Edmund's College. He returned to the Faculty of Education (as it was by then) as a Professorial Fellow in 2010 and was appointed Director of Research (Kazakhstan and Mongolia) following the development of new initiatives in both countries in 2012.
- Philosophy of Educational Research
- Educational Reform, especially in Post Soviet contexts rrently mainly focussed on Kazakhstan); Philosophy of Education
- BA (Oxon); MA, PhD (London);
- International Fellow, Lithuanian Academy of Science
- Hon Vice President, Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain
- Fellow, Academy of Social Sciences
- Honorary Doctorate, Open University
Discussion:in Learning, Teaching and Decision making
Some 150 publications of which the most recent include
- 2015 ‘Education and the possibility of outsider understanding’ AND ‘Research quality assessment: impossible science, possible art?’ in Ed Smith, R.D. Philosophy of Education II: Major Themes in Education, LondonRoutledge (forthcoming).
- 2015 Eds. Smeyers, P,, Bridges, D. Burbules , N.and Griffiths, M., International Handbook: The Role of interpretation in Educational Research (2 volumes), Dordrecht, Springer.
- 2015 Bridges,D., Kurakbayev, K. and Kambatyrova, A. 'Interpreting the international and intra-national 'translation' of educational policy and practice: A case of opportunism, serendipity and bricolage', in Eds. Smeyers, P, Bridges, D. Burbules , N.and Griffiths, M. International Handbook: The Role of interpretation in Educational Research, Dordrecht, Springer.
- 2014 ‘Philosophy, educational research and educational policy’ in Eds Suissa,J., Winstanley,C. and Marples, R. Education, Philosophy and Wellbeing; New Perspectives on the Work of John White, London, Routledge.
- 2014 Ed. Educational Reform and Internationalisation: the Case of Kazakhstan, Cambridge University Press.
- 2014 Fimyar,O., Yakovets,N. & Bridges, D. Educational reform in Kazakhstan: The contemporary reform agenda, in Ed. D. Bridges Educational Reform and Internationalisation: the Case of Kazakhstan, Cambridge University Press
- 2014 Shamshidinova, K., Ayubayeva, N. & Bridges, D. |The role of Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools in educational reform in Ed. D. Bridges Educational Reform and Internationalisation: the Case of Kazakhstan, Cambridge University Press
- 2014 Bridges,D., Karakbayev,K. & Kambatyrova, A., Lost (and found) in translation: Interpreting the processes of International and intra-national transfer of educational policy, in Ed. D. Bridges Educational Reform and Internationalisation: the Case of Kazakhstan, Cambridge University Press
- 2014 ‘The ethics and politics of the international transfer of educational policy and practice’, Ethics and Education vol 9 no 1 pp.84-96
- 2014 ‘Conversation – in the construction and representation of research’ in in eds. Smeyers, P. and DePaepe, M. Educational research: Material culture and its representation, Dordrecht, Springer.
- 2014 ‘Ethics, power and intellectual virtue: doing right in a diversified educational research environment’ in eds. Reid,A., Peters,M., Russell,C. & Hart,P., A companion to research in education, Dordrect, Springer .
- 2014 ‘The disciplines and discipline of educational research’ in eds. Reid,A., Peters,M., Russell,C. & Hart,P., A companion to research in education, Dordrecht, Springer.
- Philosophy and educational research (Springer 2016)