My research as an independent scientist in the Department of Medicine focuses on how viral genomes are structured. I lead and collaborate in research on HIV, FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus), dengue virus and influenza virus. My team develops new techniques to allow us to better visualise the viral genome, which is an RNA molecule (ribonucleic acid). The overall aim is to understand the process by which the virus particle forms and to design drugs that block the process.
Director of Studies for Medicine (pre-clinical) and Biological Natural Sciences
Supervisor for Molecules in Medical Science 1A, Biology of Cells 1A and Biology of Disease/Pathology 1B
- MBiochem (Oxon), PhD
- Kenyon JC, Prestwood LJ and Lever AML (2015) A novel combined RNA-protein interaction analysis distinguishes HIV-1 Gag protein binding sites involved in genomic RNA encapsidation from associate RNA structural change in the viral RNA leader. Scientific Reports Oct9;5:14369
- Kenyon J, Prestwood L, Lever A (2014). Current perspectives on RNA secondary structure probing. Biochem Soc Trans. 2014 Aug 1;42(4):1251-5
- Kenyon JC, Prestwood LJ, Le Grice SF, Lever AM. In-gel probing of individual RNA conforners within a mixed population reveals a dimerization structural switch in the HIV-1 leader. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013 Oct; 41(18): e174. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkt690.Epub 2013 Aug 8.
- Stephenson JD, Li H ^, Kenyon JC ^, Symmons M, Klenerman D, Lever AM. Three-dimensional RNA structure of the major HIV-1 packaging signal region. Structure. 2013 Jun 4;21(6):951-62. Doi: 10.1016/j.str.2013.04.008. Epub 2013 May 16.
- Bell N, Kenyon JC, Balasubramanian S, Lever AML (2012) Comparative structural effects of HIV-1 Gag and nucleocapsid proteins in binding to and unwinding of the viral RNA packaging signal. Biochemistry Apr 17;51(15)3162-9 Epub 2012 Apr 6.
- Kenyon JC, Lever AML (2011) The Molecular Biology of FIV. Viruses 3(11) 2192-2213
- Kenyon JC, Lever AML (2011) XMRV, Prostate Cancer and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Br Med Bull. May 6
- Kenyon JC, Tanner SJ, Legiewicz M, Phillip PS, Rizvi TA, Le Grice SF, Lever AML (2011). SHAPE analysis of the FIV leader RNA reveals a structural switch potentially controlling viral packaging and genome dimerization. Nucleic Acids Res. May 5
- Rizvi TA, Kenyon JC, Ali J, Aktar SJ, Phillip PS, Ghazawi A, Mustafa F, Lever AML (2010). Optimal packaging of FIV genomic RNA depends upon a conserved long-range interaction and a palindromic sequence within gag. J Mol Biol, Oct 15;403(1):103-19.
- Kenyon JC, Ghazawi A, Cheung WKS, Phillip PS, Rizvi TA, Lever AML (2008). The secondary structure of the 5’ end of the FIV genome reveals a long-range interaction between R/U5 and gag sequences, and a large, stable stem-loop. RNA 14(12):2597-608
- Kenyon JC*, Bahar MW*, Putz MM*, Abrescia NG, Pease JE, Wise EL, Stuart DI, Smith GL, Grimes JM(2008). Structure and function of A41, a vaccinia virus chemokine binding protein. PLoS Pathog. 4(1):e5
- Kenyon JC*, Clark RH*, Bartlett NW, Tscharke DC, and Smith, GL (2006). Deletion of gene A41L enhances vaccinia virus immunogenicity and vaccine efficacy. J Gen Virol87, 29-38.
*, co-first authorship, ^, co-second authorship