The Homerton College Access Course - a nine-week interactive programme guiding students through the Cambridge application process
As part of our commitment to diversity, we held a pilot of our Homerton Access Course in Summer 2020, with over 250 prospective Oxbridge applicants enrolling on the course from state-maintained schools. This spring, we ran the Homerton Access Course for the second time — with almost 1,000 students applying to be on the programme — resulting in another hugely successful course.
We are delighted to announce that we are not only running our Access Course again this summer but are making it a permanent tri-annual fixture in our Access and Outreach calendar.
If you are thinking about applying to Cambridge University (or another competitive university) in October, this course is for you. This nine-week course offers free weekly themed webinars, workshops and Q&A sessions, taking students through the Oxbridge admissions process and giving them an insight into the student experience at Cambridge.
These sessions will include:
- Information on each stage of the Cambridge application process – from choosing the course to sitting an academic interview
- A comprehensive explanation of student finance and additional financial support on offer at Cambridge
- Personal statement workshops
- Interview myth-buster guidance sessions and subject-specific interview workshops
- Access to session recordings, lectures and preparation materials for your chosen subject
- Interactive chats with our Directors of Studies, Admissions Tutors, academics and current students
- An introduction to Homerton Changemakers, our co-curricular personal development programme
We also run optional lectures for students facing additional barriers in accessing higher education. For instance, for students from a BAME background, we run a workshop with a current Homerton BAME student-helper panel and a University Inclusion Champion.
To apply for this programme you must be:
- Thinking of applying to Cambridge (or another competitive university) in October
- Be able to achieve the University of Cambridge entrance requirements
Also, students who meet any of the below criteria will be prioritised:
- No parental history of higher education
- Current state school student
- Currently or previously living under local authority care
- Eligible for Free School Meals (currently, or in the previous six years)
- IMD deciles 1-3
- Low school/college progression rates to higher education
- Disability/extenuating circumstances which have affected study
- Ethnicity: students who identify as BAME
- Young carers
- POLAR 4 classification 1 or 2
Applications for the Homerton Summer Access Course 2021 have now closed.
Students - keep an eye on this page, or follow our Schools Liaison Twitter account to be notified as to when applications for the next run of the Homerton Access Course reopen.
Teachers and HE Advisors – subscribe to our teacher newsletter to be alerted when applications for the next run of the Homerton Access Course reopen and share with eligible students at your school or college.