Chef De Partie
Salary: £25,982 p/a
Department: Conference and Catering
Reporting to: Head Chef
Homerton College was founded in the 18th Century, moved to its current location in 1894 and was granted a Royal Charter as a self-governing College of the University of Cambridge in 2010. Located within easy reach of the historic city centre and Cambridge mainline station, the College has over 1,000 students and a Fellowship of over 70. Nearly 700 students live on the site.
The College is set within 25 acres of landscaped gardens and parkland, and its conference and event facilities comprise a dedicated modern Conference Centre. Ample free on-site parking is also an attraction for conference organisers.
The Conference and Catering Department
Catering provides 12 servery meals per week: lunch and dinner, Monday to Friday, and lunch (or brunch) at weekends, although the Conference and Catering Manager will keep under review the services and service times for students. There is also a popular Buttery and a Bar which is manned by employed staff.
In addition, Formal Hall is served every Tuesday in Full Term. The maximum capacity for Formal Hall is 250, and many Formal Halls reaches this capacity. There are many other formal College meals throughout the year for which a high standard of catering and service is required, including: Graduate Formals Guest Nights, Governing Body Dinners, Matriculation Dinners, Charter Dinner, Alumni Reunion Dinner and Congregation and Graduation lunches.
The College has a thriving Conference business which represents an important source of income to the College. As well as the dedicated conference centre with 5 meeting rooms there are a further 22 flexible meeting rooms, 3 versatile dining rooms and over 500 en-suite bedrooms available for letting during the vacations. Catering includes lunches and dinners for conference guests, BBQs, breakfast service during vacations, Christmas parties and marquee events. The catering department also provides refreshments for a wide variety of functions and meetings, both College events and private events.
At present the College Bar and Buttery is used as a social space by the students and is the JCR. Conference and catering staff work with the students to support and maximise opportunities for academic and social events.
- Preparation of all foodstuffs for staff, fellows, students and Conference Delegates to the College as advised by the senior chef on duty.
- Ensure that all College and statutory regulations and policies relating to hygiene, health, safety and fire are enforced and maintained.
- Ensure cleanliness of equipment and utensils.
- Ensure that all necessary Health and Safety and food safety paperwork, administration, controls and records are undertaken and maintained as directed by the Head Chef including the monitoring and recording of temperatures of chills, freezers and food in production and holding.
- Ensure that the counter presentation provides an interesting menu which meets customer demands and maintains an efficient / swift service.
- Ensure receipt and storage of deliveries when required, or in the absence of a senior person to ensure all delivered items are accounted for.
- Ensure that high standards of customer service are maintained at all times and report and when appropriate, take action on customer complaints or compliments.
- Prepare for and assist at any special function which also may sometimes be outside normal working hours.
- Assist in other units within the Catering department as and when required.
- Attend meetings and training courses as required.
- Previous experience of working in a professional kitchen (ideally in college environment)
- Ability to communicate at all levels
- Good writing skills
- Good PC skills
- Motivated, with good organisational skills
- Team player
- Ability to see potential problems and work through solutions until resolution is reached.
- Good working knowledge of handling and operation of equipment (including knives)
- Good working knowledge of health and safety procedures.
- Have a flair and passion for food
- Good working knowledge of current food trends and special dietary requirements
- Reliable with a good attention to detail
- Enthusiasm with a good sense of humour
- Knowledge of HACCP
- C & G 706/1 + 2 or equivalent NVQ qualification
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene certificate