Welfare and medical support

Who to talk to when you need support

Personal Tutor

On joining the College, every student is assigned a College Tutor who helps them navigate life at Cambridge University. Tutors are often the first point of contact to talk through options for support in College, the University or the local community. They can give advice on academic, financial, health, family or personal issues. They can also provide a welfare referral service and direct students to additional support. A duty tutor is on call every night and can be contacted via the Porters' Lodge.

Student Health Advisor

Homerton’s Student Health Advisor, Sandy Chambers is a trained nurse and has extensive experience providing physical and mental health support. Sandy can give confidential support to students and signpost other specialist advice where appropriate. Students can find Sandy on the ground floor of West House, or she can be contacted by email or phone. 

Student Health Advisor homepage

College Counsellor

Homerton provides a confidential counselling service for all undergraduate and postgraduate students. This gives our students the opportunity to talk about any issues they may be experiencing in a private and relaxed setting.

The College Counsellor, Catherine Snelson is a trained counsellor and psychoanalytic psychotherapist and can provide both short and long term support for students. Carol MacIntyre-Jones is trained both as a counsellor and a psychoanalytic psychotherapist.  She has worked in Higher Education as a counsellor for a number of years, as well as in private practice.  She is BACP and UKCP registered.

College Counsellor homepage

College Discrimination and Harassment Contacts (CDHC)

The College Discrimination and Harassment Contacts, Eireann Attridge and Georgie Horrell have responsibility for supporting students who may have experienced or are currently experiencing any form of discrimination, harassment or sexual misconduct. They are also College Tutors. Students can email them directly or report an incident(s) anonymously via the College Harassment Reporting form.


Other sources of support in College

The Tutorial Team

The Tutorial Office is responsible for tutorial and admission enquiries, student accommodation and provides administrative support to students. The Tutorial Office is a direct link to the Senior Tutor, Graduate Tutors and Admissions Tutors.

Students are always welcome to drop in for information, advice and assistance in any area of College life, they can also contact the team by telephone or email. If you are not sure who to contact please see the guide below on who we are and how we can help.

Find out more


College porters are on duty 24/7 and are able to respond to emergencies. Students can find the Porters in person at the Porters' Lodge or contact them directly by calling 47111.

Porters are able to let emergency services onto the site or assist students in acquiring travel to a hospital if necessary. We expect students to inform the Porters if they have called the emergency services to the College site.

Peer support - HUS Student Welfare Officers

The Homerton Union of Students has elected student welfare officers (undergraduate JCR and postgraduate MCR) who are available for peer support in College and host events throughout the term to promote student wellbeing within the College community.

HUS Welfare services

Local services - GP surgeries and dentists

Find local services.

Latest from The Homersphere

View all