Professor Simon Gregory
MBE BSC MBBS FRCGP MMEDED
Simon is Health Education England’s (HEE) Deputy Medical Director (Primary and Integrated Care) with responsibility for GP/ Primary Care, Dentistry, Differential Attainment, Mental Health and Wellbeing. He is also HEE’s Freedom to Speak up Guardian. He was previously Director and Dean of Education and Quality (DEQ), Health Education England (HEE), Midlands and East and HEE Lead for Primary Care, prior to that the Postgraduate Dean East of England and before that GP Dean, East Midlands.
Simon is a GP and a Royal College of General Practitioners Trustee and Council member. He is the current Provost of the Leicester Faculty of the RCGP. He also chairs the University of Cambridge Miltary Education Committee (MEC).
In addition to being a Fellow in Clinical Medicine at Homerton College Simon is Honorary Professor at Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia (UEA), and Visiting Professor at Anglia Ruskin University (ARU). Simon conceived and was Clinical Director and Vice Chair of HEE’s Commission on staff and learner mental wellbeing and he continues to advocate for staff and learner wellbeing support. His current interests include the quality of education, training and care and health outcomes and performance, and differential attainment. His past research includes selection methodology, and “value-added” in medical education.
Simon is a Deputy Lord Lieutenant for Northamptonshire, a Board member of Maggie’s Northampton and also a Trustee Member of the Astrea Multi Academy Trust. His hobbies include being a season ticket holder at Northampton Saints RFC, woodturning, reading and latterly fairly slow 5k runs.
Simon was awarded an MBE for his services to general practice in the 2022 New Years Honours List.
- Gregory S, Tzortziou Brown. I don’t want to be a call centre GP! British Journal of General Practice 2020; 70 (697): 405. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp20X712049
- Gregory S, Demartini C. Satisfaction of doctors with their training: evidence from the UK. BMC Health Services Research 2017; 17:851 DOI: 10.1186/s12913-017-2792-0
- Gregory S, Patterson, F, Irish B, Knight A, Thomas S, Walsh K, Baron H. Exploring the value-added of postgraduate medical education: A preliminary evaluation. Medical Teacher 2016 Apr 13:1-8. DOI:10.3109/0142159X.2016.1147534
- Gregory S. Cum Scientia Caritas: Compassion with knowledge. British Journal of General Practice 2015: 1: 36 – 37. DOI: 10.3399/bjgp15X683269
- Patterson F, Zibaras L, Carr V, Irish W, Gregory S. Evaluating candidate reactions to selection practices using organisational justice theory. Medical Education 2011; 45: 289 – 297.