PGCE Accommodation

Is College accommodation available for PGCE students?

There are limited numbers of single occupancy College rooms available for PGCE students, and a few couples' rooms; the College does not have suitable accommodation for families. Rooms are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority given to applicants who:

  • reside overseas,
  • have a disability or medical condition that requires them to be on site,
  • have a strong pastoral reason for living in.

What accommodation is available?

All rooms are in the College grounds on Hills Road, close to all College facilities. They are designed to work in as well as sleep so there is a desk, space for a computer and books. They are safe places, with their own room keys and a card key system for getting into your residence area.

Homerton PGCE students are usually housed in our postgraduate community of two accommodation blocks at the rear of the College plot, though limited rooms in other areas of the College may also be available.

Morley House

Rooms arranged along corridors, including a few larger double rooms
Shared fully-fitted kitchens
Common Room (accessible to all graduate students)

Harrison House

Rooms arranged in flats of 5 rooms
Shared fully-fitted kitchens


How do I apply for accommodation?

Applicants who are due to commence their studies in September will be contacted via email with the webpage link for our first set of information in April. This webpage contains the online accommodation survey and a detailed guide to accommodation. If you wish to apply for a room in College, and you have been accepted as a member of Homerton for the PGCE course, you must complete the online accommodation survey confirming that you would like a room and any additional information that might make you a priority. Please note: this does not guarantee a room. Applications from non-members will not be considered.

When do I know if my application has been successful?

All College rooms are allocated in July; if the College is in a position to offer residential accommodation you will be contacted by email. If you know will be travelling over summer, please provide an email address where you or your representative can be reached. If you do not answer this email, for any reason, it will be assumed you do not wish to take up the offer of residential accommodation.

If you are unsuccessful in your application for a room in Homerton College you will need to seek private accommodation. You may nonetheless put your name on a waiting list for vacancies that may arise.

If you are allocated a room the booking will be provisional until you have signed and returned the Residency Agreement. In doing so, you are signing a legally-binding contract to take up residence in College and it is at this stage that the room is guaranteed for the Academic Year.

What is the cost of the accommodation?

Please follow this link for the 2019-20 rent charges.

How long is the Residency Agreement?

The PGCE Residency Agreement, which gives licence to occupy the room, is a continuous contract for the period September until June.

I only need accommodation for part of the academic year, can I apply for this?

No. The Residency Agreement runs continuously from mid-September to the end of June. We are unable to offer accommodation to students who request residency for only part of that period.

Do I have to live in Cambridge?

The University requires postgraduates to live within 10 miles of Cambridge city centre, but increasingly a small number of PGCE students will be based further from Cambridge for domestic and/or financial reasons. In these circumstances you are required to request official permission from the College to live outside of the University precincts, and this should be completed before the beginning of September of the year you are starting. If you are granted permission the College strongly advises you to live no more than an hour's commute from Cambridge, especially during those parts of the year when you are doing course-work in the Faculty of Education. Commuting long distances can be stressful and Cambridge rush-hour is a nightmare. Moreover, the further away you live, the more difficult it can be for us to support you directly.

How do I find out about private accommodation?

The University Accommodation Service may be able to assist you in finding suitable accommodation for your time in Cambridge; you can register for the service online. The Information Booklet which is circulated to applicants in April contains a list of local letting agents and other useful links.