Research Allowances 2017-18:

The Research Committee would like to remind all Fellows that the deadline to make expenditures count against this academic year's allowance is 30 June 2018. The annual research allowances are intended for research-related expenditures over this fiscal year (1 July 2017-30 June 2018) and are not carried over to the next year if unspent.

Research allowance claim forms can be found on Homerton's intranet (go to Documents on the top bar, then Forms to Claims to Expenses). The completed expenses claim forms, with original receipts, can then be handed in directly to the Finance Office for initial processing, then they will go to the Vice-Principal for final approval.

Four more relevant points:

  1. There is a grace period of 1 month to actually get the claim forms to the Finance Office for the last fiscal year. While expenditures must be made by 30 June, the forms can still be submitted to the Finance Office anytime before 31 July 2018.

  2. It is possible to make expenditures during this fiscal year for expenses that are actually used later. (For example, as long as a plane ticket or hotel reservation is paid for by 30 June it can be used at any later time. This helps to preserve the next year's research allowance.)

  3. All Fellows in classes A (Official), B (Professorial), and D (General), automatically have a £750 per year research allowance. Research Fellows (Class C: JRFs, SRFs, and RFs), have a £1500 per year research allowance.In addition, the Principal now has a research allowance of £750 per year.

  4. Finally, Fellows are reminded that those needing additional research funding beyond the annual allowance may apply to the Research Committee for a special grant. These applications are decided on a case-by-case basis and are designed to accommodate needs for special or unique research opportunities that would otherwise be unfunded. Past successful applications have included conference travel and publication subventions for book illustrations -- but any research-related expense will be considered. In the past it has been stated that normally only one application can be made by a Fellow within any three-year period. It is though now the stated policy of the Research Committee that Fellows are encouraged to make special grant applications as needed. Those wishing to apply for a special research grant should in the first instance contact the Vice-Principal (