Congregational Fund Board is formed to educate young men as Protestant Ministers, planting the seed of what will become Homerton Academy.
Homerton Academy is formally founded with John Conder appointed its first Principal.
On 26 June at a meeting of the Board, Homerton is first referred to as a “College”.
Re-founded as teacher training institution for Congregational Board Schools, including both women and men as students.
Moved to Cambridge, acquired site of former Cavendish College on Hills Road.
1) Illustration from an unknown Homerton student's autograph album, 1895.
2) The only remaining copy of the hand drawn College paper, Homerton College Budget, 1890.
3) Men students at Homerton College London, 1889-1890.
4) Women students with William Unwin at Homerton College London, c. 1873.
5) Detail of illustration from an autograph album belonging to Louise Haselden, 1877.
6) Detail of illustration from an autograph album, 1877.
Morley Memorial School opens in Blinco Grove for the purpose of training Homerton students in school practice.
Mary Miller Allan is appointed the College’s first women Principal.
An Arts and Crafts gymnasium (later, named a grade II structure) is built for dance, drama and gymnastics - the first purpose-built gym at a UK teacher training institution.
A Cambridge University diploma is offered for the first time through the college as a third-year option.
Incendiary bombs destroy greenhouses and the roof of the Cavendish Building.
The Crown Film Unit films The New School, starring Peter Cushing, at Homerton.
1) Principal Mary Allan wearing an large floral hat with the College's net ball team, 1907.
2) Article in the Daily Sketch, 1941.
3) Former student and geography tutor John Jones, 1935.
4) Architectural plans for the gymnasium, 1914.
5) Photograph of the gymnasium including a stage. c. 1922-25.
The Bachelor of Education degree is introduced for the first time at Homerton.
Became an Approved Society of the University of Cambridge, re-admitting men alongside women after solely educating women since its arrival in Cambridge.
Kate Pretty CBE FSA is appointed Principal.
Homerton’s Library moved to its current location in the newly built Mary Allan building.
'Convergence' - a new relationship with the University - evolves, enabling Homerton to offer a wider range of academic subjects.
Royal Charter granted, making Homerton a fully self-governing College of the University of Cambridge
Homerton begins offering degrees in every undergraduate subject taught in the wider university.
Lord Woolley of Woodford is appointed Principal of Homerton, making him the first Black man to head a College at Cambridge or Oxford.
1) Geography class, c.1945.
2) Interior of Homerton's Great Hall in 2023.
3) Outdoor Physical Education class on the steps of the gymnasium, 1944.
4) Bound volumes in the Homerton College Archives, 2023.
5) The newest edition to the Homerton landscape, a dining hall, opened in 2022.
6) Student names on art room locker doors from the Shrubsole Room, 2023.
7) Kate Pretty speaking about her portrait in the Great Hall, 2023.