Guide to living out

Finding private property to rent 

There are a range of private properties available to rent in Cambridge, including shared houses or flats. The University has its own accommodation service  to help students look for a property to rent. The University does run a priority list on this service though. Alternatively, there are a number of private letting agencies that list rental properties; the Accommodation Officer keeps a list of private lets and estate agents which can be obtained electronically and a file of private landlords which you can view in person in the Accommodation Office.


What to do once you've found your property 

Once you have found a property to rent, there are a number of things you must do.

  • You should change your CAMSIS address to your rental property, so that you can be presented with a council tax exemption certificate by the Tutorial Office. 
  • The Accommodation Office can also provide a reference for a private landlord upon request 
  • Please make sure you have told the accommodation office that you no longer require accommodation in College 
  • Make note of the charges that apply for living out of college 
  • If you want to continue to use the gym, it costs £50 per annum 
  • A charge of £ will apply for non-resident students to continue to use facilities in college 
  • Make sure to take notes/pictures of any faults and write them up on the inventory as you want to avoid any charges being taken out of your deposit 

Residency Requirements

All full-time students are required to live within ten miles of the city precincts; that is, within the 10 mile radius of Great St Mary's Church, Cambridge, for the duration of their course. Students who have good reason for needing to live outside this area will be required to apply to reside outside the University’s precincts.

Tenancy agreements and deposits 

  • You may be required to pay a deposit when you move in, as well as at least one month’s rent in advance, possibly more for an assured six-month short-hold tenancy (the most popular type of agreement).
  • By law the deposit must be held by an outside agency not by the landlord, so do not give the landlord cash and insist on a receipt for any deposit paid. Before you pay a deposit, read the tenancy agreement carefully and ask for a copy of it
  •  You must be sure of what you’re getting for your money, as you may also be charged separately for gas, electricity, water rates and heating. This is particularly important if it is an old house without insulation or double-glazing
  •  Once you sign the tenancy agreement you are committed to make payments for the full term of the tenancy, be it six months or one year.
  • You can leave the property at any time, but you must continue with the payments even if you are not living there.
  • Private accommodation is mostly fully furnished but you should expect to provide your own bed linen and cooking utensils. When you leave at the end of your tenancy, it is recommended that you get the deposit back before returning the keys.