Homerton College: A timeline

An overview of our history

1695

Congregational Fund Board formed to educate young men as nonconforming Protestant Ministers 

1730

Formation of the Kings Head Society

1768

House purchased in Homerton High Street for 'private scholars'.  Now the institution had resident students, resident teaching staff, its first Principal, and bore the name 'Homerton'

1817

Homerton Academy society (later Homerton College Society), a 'Dissenting Academy'

1850

Re-founded as teacher training institution for Congregational Board Schools, including both women and men students

1894

Moved to Cambridge, acquired Cavendish College in Hills Road and became a single-sex college for women, aligning with University practice at that time

1976

Became an Approved Society of the University of Cambridge, re-admitting men as a mixed college

2001

'Convergence', a new relationship with the University saw Homerton offer its full range of academic subjects

2006

Completion of Harrison House providing additional accommodation for postgraduates.

2007

Expanded residential accommodation now includes West House and South Court with 700 resident undergraduates on site, and Harrison House for postgraduates.

2010

Royal Charter granted, making Homerton a fully self-governing college of the University of Cambridge

2017

Homerton largest college in Cambridge and one of largest for undergraduate Physics, second only to Trinity and Churchill

2018

‘Homerton Changemakers’ programme launched to mark 250th Anniversary of the College

2019

New Homerton boathouse on River Cam, shared with City of Cambridge Boat Club.

2020

Extensive new playing fields developed in partnership with St Mary’s School

Latest from The Homersphere

View all