Cambridge students already get an exceptional and deep education, kindled by some of the world's best minds. To thrive in the world, however, skills alongside academic subjects deserve the same purposefulness and attention.
The Changemakers programme is built around 4 clusters of attributes:
- Being - selfhood and ourself in the world
- Thinking and Feeling - cognitive and emotional agility
- Perspective - enlarging understanding and experience
- Action and Enabling Change - where vision meets practical nous
These clusters have been designed based on research from psychology, leadership, sustainability, anticipation studies, education, community-building, innovation and business: and on our collective experience leading change-making initiatives.*
Each element of the programme is designed to layer up skills, mindsets and practices across these four clusters.
Unique to Homerton College, the programme equips our students with the intellectual force, energy and edge to become ambassadors for change in the world of tomorrow..
Being - Relationship to self
- Compassion mindset
- Our inner compass
- Understanding who we are, what has shaped us, and the values we hold
- Presence: being in the world, with others, with ourselves
- Emotional intelligence
- The long view & long-term thinking
Thinking and feeling
- Assessing risk
- Comfort with failure and not-knowing
- Financial awareness
- Collaboration & co-creation
- Working in uncertainty
- Knowing the roots & effects of prejudice, and knowing how to overcome it
- Macro-systems of change
- Understanding power and influence
- Understanding difference, diversity, equality
- Building deep respect for difference
- Social awareness - relating self to others to world
- A sense of global citizenship
- Moving beyond sustainability to regenerative thinking and being
- Systems-mapping and systems change, including the limits of those methods
Action and enabling change
- Collaborative skills: the ability to get things done, alongside and with others.
- Deep listening & profound questioning
- Narrative and story-telling
- Interdependence between self, organisations, society
- Vision and imagination
- Modern leadership styles: co-creation, facilitation, weaving
- Connecting self -society- world
- Persistence, epistemic openness and humility
Find out more about the topics listed above on our resources page
"Homerton Changemakers is a brilliant and necessary invitation for us to raise our game as humans. To explore how to draw new maps for a world with a future.”
"Homerton Changemakers helped me realise how much push for change there currently is - the programme creates a supportive environment to channel it into proper changemaking."
“Above all, I feel empowered by the opportunity that Changemakers have given me to deeply connect and exchange ideas with like-minded people of all ages and backgrounds - and a powerful reminder that it is up to our generation, each and every one of us, to make this world a better place to live in.”
Changemakers has introduced me to a community of wonderful and inspiring people. Each Changemaker event I have attended has left me feeling energised and excited to tackle the big challenges our world is facing today. Having the right values, tools, attitude and people on my side has emboldened me to champion radical positive change.